Gwen's Den

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

"GROWING OLD"

How true is this.

BORN BEFORE 1986?According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured Lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.
When we rode our bikes,we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and fluorescent 'spokey dokey's'on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags and riding in the passenger seat was a treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same.
We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually died from this.We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long aswe were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.
We did not have Playstations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobilephones, no personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chatrooms.
We had friends - we went outside and found them. We played elastics and rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt!
We fell out of trees, got cut, and broke bones but there were no law suits.

We played knock-the-door-run-away and were actually afraid of the owners catching us.We walked to friends' homes.
We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls. We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of...they actually sided with the law.This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.And you're one of them.
Congratulations!to others who have had the luck to grow as real kids,before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for "our own good".For those of you who aren't old enough, thought you might like to read about us.This my friends, is surprisingly frightening......and it might put a smile on your face:

The majority of students in universities today were born in 1986....
The Uptown Girl they know is by Westlife not Billy Joel.They have never heard of Rick Astley, Bananarama, Nena Cherry or Belinda Carlisle.
For them, there has always been only one Germany and one Vietnam.AIDS has existed since they were born.

CD's have existed since theywere born.Michael Jackson has always been white.To them John Travolta has always been round in shape and they can't imagine how this fat guy could be a god of dance.They believe that Charlie's Angels and Mission Impossible are films from last year.

They can never imagine life before computers. They'll never have pretended to be the A-Team, the Dukes of Hazzard or the Famous Five.They can't believe a black and white television ever existed.
And they will never understand how we could leave the house without a mobile phone.Now let's check if we're getting old...1. You understand what was written above and you smile.2. You need to sleep more, usually until the afternoon, after a night out.
3.Your friends are getting married/already married 4. You are always surprised to see small children playing comfortably with computers.5. When you see children with mobile phones, you shake your head.6. Having read this, you are thinking of forwarding it to some other friends because you think they will like it too...Yes, you're Getting old!!

17 Comments:

  • I remember "party lines".... and that was our telephone system, not some kind of jewelry show

    By Blogger Pamela, at January 30, 2007 5:59 pm  

  • Thanks Gwen, I love it, and can so relate to most of it !!
    Take care, and have a great week ... Meow

    By Blogger Meow (aka Connie), at January 30, 2007 8:23 pm  

  • Hi mate'
    I must be getting old! as i can relate to all these things.including walking to the corner to use the payphone.((((HUGS))))see u soon. Janxxx

    By Blogger Jeanette, at January 30, 2007 10:05 pm  

  • ahhh YES the good old days, I remember then fondly .. my fav would have to have been the bike riding in groups, I remember Gary, myself and friends riding to Nan & Pops, getting refreshed with lemonade & home baked cookies, then off home again .. and believe me that was a decent ride for kids of 8 & 9 !!!

    Cazz
    xxxoooxxx

    By Blogger Cazz, at January 31, 2007 12:13 am  

  • I, for one, am very glad I could experience the "good old days"...that's when we had the most fun:-) Loved this!! Hugs xox

    By Blogger Carole Burant, at January 31, 2007 1:03 am  

  • Hi Gwen. That was cute.

    It doesn't quite fit me, so am I getting old?

    I remember when flip flops were invented, I had already dropped out of college.

    When I was a kid we were too poor to have a garden hose, I had never seen one. We carried water to where it was needed in buckets.

    Again, we didn't get drinks in cans. That happened too while I was a drop out from college, maybe even later [one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can].

    Yes, I WALKED to school in the bad weather. In good weather I rode our (my sister and I shared one, we took turns when she was also going to school) bike the one mile.
    My dad would take me when it was a bad blizzard--good ones we had to walk--in a horse drawn trailer with a tarp over the top to keep us kids warmer. No busses either [we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school]

    I never went to jail. I did bail out one of my kids who was born before the 70s.

    I hadn't ever heard of these, not even now; "They have never heard of Rick Astley, Bananarama, Nena Cherry or Belinda Carlisle."

    So I failed number 1 below.
    Also failing number 3, my friends are dying.
    [ . . . check if we're getting old...1. You understand what was written above and you smile.2. You need to sleep more, usually until the afternoon, after a night out.
    3.Your friends are getting married/already married 4. You are always surprised to see small children playing comfortably with computers.5. When you see children with mobile phones, you shake your head.6. Having read this, you are thinking of forwarding it to some other friends because you think they will like it too...Yes, you're Getting old!!]
    ..
    No, Gwen, I'm not getting old, I am old.
    ..

    By Blogger Jim, at January 31, 2007 9:21 am  

  • Gwen, True, Very true! all of it what a great post many things did have me shaking my head going "yes that is true" :o)

    I am however so glad to be part of the "getting old" group as we the baby boomers are here today because our parents worked very hard to make life interesting and safe for us don't you think.
    Lee-ann

    By Blogger Pear tree cottage!, at January 31, 2007 12:41 pm  

  • Yes it is all so true, I would ride my bike all day with my friend and our parents had no idea where we were, just out bike riding. Now days I wont let my kids ride their bikes past the driveway. My eldest has a mobile phone so there are no excuses, I should always no where he is.

    Cheers
    Donna

    By Blogger Donna, at January 31, 2007 6:51 pm  

  • Hi Gwen ~~ Great post and yes things are so different now aren't they?
    And yes, I'm old too. But content!!
    I haven't been out to theMarket-place
    for a few weeks but I think it is all finished and a few new shops open.
    You and Jan are welcome to pop in for a cuppa if you like. Take care,
    Love, Merle.

    By Blogger Merle, at January 31, 2007 9:17 pm  

  • Hi Gwen,
    What a great post and step back in time. I enjoyed thinking back on those times as I read this!
    :)

    By Blogger Susie, at February 01, 2007 4:40 pm  

  • Good grief, Gwen, I haven't even heard of some of the things the oldies are supposed to remember! Especially those names (Nena Cherry???)

    To paraphrase Merle, I'm old AND content.

    By Blogger Val, at February 01, 2007 5:39 pm  

  • Hi Gwen,

    Now I feel old!

    I remember flip flop being a quarter and so was a coke a candy bar and a comic book, and I would actually get change back from my $1.00 allowance after I bought three of these four things.

    Janice~

    By Blogger Janice Seagraves, at February 03, 2007 7:10 pm  

  • Its a shame the kids today have missed out on all those fun things we did in the 80's.
    If the world has advanced so much in 20 years imagine what it will be like in the year 2020, the mind boggles!!

    By Blogger Jo, at February 04, 2007 10:19 pm  

  • thanks Jeanette, I've seen this before and it is all so very true, I saw it under the heading Over 50?

    Which in itself is interesting, like this conversation - the bit about 'getting old' versus 'old'.

    I've been thinking about that lately, so this post just clicked straight in for me.

    thanks
    Della

    By Blogger DellaB, at February 05, 2007 7:08 pm  

  • ooh you make me feel old!

    By Blogger Marion McCready, at February 06, 2007 1:33 am  

  • Hi again Gwen ~~ Thanks for your visit, glad you enjoyed the jokes and verse. Hope you are coping with the heat OK. It is not easy lately, though it is much better today (Tues)
    I have been out shopping, and it was quite nice. Take care, Love, Merle.
    Always is one of my favourites,thanks

    By Blogger Merle, at February 06, 2007 3:05 pm  

  • Isn't it amazing how times have changed? I'm so glad I grew up in the 70s and 80s.

    By Blogger Tanya, at February 07, 2007 12:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home